Summary of Position
This position will provide basic clerical and administrative support to the agency at the reception area, including greeting visitors, answering phone calls, transferring calls, transferring messages, schedule meeting arrangements, overseeing the waiting area, maintaining office equipment, and other general clerical assignments.
Line of Authority
Supervised by the Finance Manager
Status of Position
Non-exempt; Full-Time, (8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday)
Hourly Rate $11 – $13, DOE
Health Benefits package
- Answer all incoming phone calls and transfer/refer calls to appropriate department.
- Retrieve voice mail messages on a daily basis and accurately relay messages to appropriate staff.
- Process all out going mail and send in a timely manner.
- Set and update phone greetings and holiday messages.
- Set-up and arrange conference calls and meetings in conference room.
- Assist with general clerical work such as copying, faxing, collating, etc.
- Organize office supply request for staff.
- Keep the supply room organized and clean.
- Ensure office equipment is working properly and coordinate scheduled maintenance of office equipment (copier, fax, postage machine, etc.)
- Ensure all consumer-related information is kept confidential at the reception area.
- Ensure that the waiting area and reception desk is kept neat and safe
- Maintain a daily register of incoming calls and office visits to the agency.
- Keep the vending machine and water dispenser full and working properly.
- Ensure that the shredding bins are emptied as needed.
- Resolve disputes or other issues arising at the reception area.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- AA degree in related field or at least 2 years of experience in receptionist type responsibilities.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and ability to verbally communicate with the public, staff members, and volunteers.
- Ability to operate a multi-line telephone system, personal computer, and a variety of office equipment.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, use discretion, and maintain confidentiality.
- Must maintain a high level of regular attendance and punctuality.
- Ability to handle disgruntled callers and walk-ins.
Special Knowledge and/or Preferred Skills
- Personal life experience with a disability is preferred
- Experience working with persons with disabilities is desired
- Understanding and commitment to the Independent Living philosophy and the values and mission of ILCKC.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift (medium to large) items relevant to this job description including delivered purchase orders and organizing the supply room.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish) is highly preferred
ILC of Kern County is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring staff who reflect the diversity of our community. Persons with disabilities, are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be made for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Please email resume to: