Click on the image above to learn how we are providing access during this time.
The Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Department at Independent Living Center of Kern County (ILCKC) provides American Sign Language (ASL) interpreting services for a variety of situations including but not limited to medical, educational, and community settings.
All public and private businesses or entities have the obligation of providing an ASL interpreter in compliance with ADA Title II and Title III when requested by a Deaf client, customer, or patient.
ASL Interpreting Services
- Same day scheduling
- After hours
- Emergency services
Independent Living Center of Kern County ASL Interpreting Services Covers Kern County
According to the 2016 U.S. Census, California has a Deaf population of over 1,124,059 individuals with 24,450 individuals who are Deaf in Kern County. This large number represents people who purchase products and services, work in local businesses, and participate in the community.
Instances that may require sign language interpreting include:
- Employee interviews, orientations, trainings, and job evaluations
- Staff meetings
- Conferences, presentations
- K-12 education, parent-teacher conferences, school functions and events, IEP meetings
- Post Secondary Education, required events and functions, advisory meetings, graduations,
- Medical and Health Care
- Social Services
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Government, city/county public meetings or events, elections, and campaigns
- Legal, probation
- Public service announcements
- Community events, weddings, funerals, and church services